Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thankful for the Muppets

My boys spent the last few days with my parents and today they finally came home. I was surprised at how much I missed them and immediately ran to hug and kiss them and tell them how much I love them.

My mother teased me by asking them, "Are you sure you want to go home, boys? Don't you want to stay with Nonna and Poppa one more night?"

Owen looked up at Grandma, shook his head and said, "Uh-uh." That's my boy.

Dawson told me he was so happy to be home because he missed me. He gave me the biggest hug he could muster and told me he loved me. It's true what they say; absence makes the heart grow fonder.

The kiddos were in an unusually good mood. For a moment I wondered if they were the same children who left me on Wednesday. It didn't take long for my real children to surface.

"I'm huuuuungry!" Dawson whined.

Owen ran around the dining room, chasing the dog. Run, Murphy, run!

I tossed the boys in the bathtub and then we got dressed to go see the matinee showing of The Muppet Movie. Dawson's friends, Taylor and Trevor, came along with us. We had popcorn and sodas and I was thankful that the kids were well behaved.

Okay, Owen had a 5-second fit because he was out of popcorn but I quickly shared the rest of mine with him and all was right with the world again.

The movie was great. I felt like a kid again. I didn't realize how much I missed Kermit. And Miss Piggy. And Fozzie Bear. And Rowlf the Dog. And Beaker! Oh...and the Swedish Chef! "Aweenda shmure da froog's legs! Bork bork bork!" Can't forget Animal! My favorite crazy drummer. Jim Henson, you were a genius.

I sang along just like I did as a child.

"It's time to play the music,
It's time to light the lights,
It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight."

Halfway through the movie, Dawson whispered to me, "Were these Muppets around when you were a kid?" I nodded and he said, "Wow, they're kind of old then, right?"
Oh, the pain in my heart! I'm not that old, kiddo!

Okay, maybe I am! Mahna Mahna!



I love that I can spend time with my boys doing fun things that they'll remember when they are all grown up.

I love these kids so much and I thank God each day for allowing me the privilege of being their mother. Life was good today.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home